[Oberon] Oberon on Nexys DDR4 from Digilent?

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 22 21:07:26 CET 2018

Pablo:

  I was thinking of donating the Arty-7 and also our future RiskFive. However, at this point we are still not sure concerning the DDR3 firmware memory controller for Arty-7. If it works with Arty-7, the DDR3 controller will also work with RiskFive. Achieving success with Arty-7 is therefore a key to RiskFive production.

I am myself quite surprised that the DDR3 memory controller could be a problem. Artix-7 has a built-in DDR3 circuitry. So I thought it would work. However, there are mixed reports concerning its performance. I have seen claims that memory access takes about 25 clock cycles, which means 62.5 ns at 400 MHz. It would be slower than the SRAM access (25 ns). Quite surprising for a part running at 2.5 ns clock. On the other hand, the OpenArty design is claimed to run at 81.25 MHz on the Arty-7 with speed grade 1, see opencores.org/project,openarty

I am not sure what OpenArty is really doing. We keep investigating.

If we can make Arty-7 work then it would be an attractive development platform for a fairly unrestricted Oberon System. It is inexpensive and it can be equipped with PS2, SD, and 12-bit VGA. This vision keeps us working on Arty-7.

Nexys 4 DDR could be another good option, though I am not sure how the DDR2 can be faster than DDR3, using the same MIG memory interface.

On the other hand, in case Chris wants to only use the internal BRAM without touching the external memory, then neither board is a viable path towards the full Oberon System.

Wojtek