[Oberon] Android

jwr at robrts.net jwr at robrts.net
Wed Mar 7 05:51:24 CET 2018

Peter Matthias wrote on 28 Jan:
Android uses Linux Kernel. OLR/ARM Linux runs, but is not compatible
with Android runtime system. E.g. Android updates the framebuffer
frequently so that OLR output on the framebuffer is overwritten.

I don't know how Android works with a framebuffer, but this reminds me
of requirements I once learned for writing software for the Macintosh.
After the MacOS overwrote portions of an application's window with a
dialog box or menu, it sent an event to the app with the window handle
and coordinates of the rectangle the app needed to redraw.  It was the
app's responsibility to redraw what used to be there.
Does Android send a message to the running application(s) notifying
that a portion of the screen needs to be redrawn?  Does OLR on Android
need to write to a (persistent) off-screen bitmap, and then (re)copy
it to the framebuffer when notified?  It seems odd to me that use of
the framebuffer on Android should differ from use of the framebuffer
on "normal" Linux; why was this not a problem before?

Lyall Easthope wrote on 26 Jan:
Oberon or A2 on Android should be possible.  Appealing, but is it
worth the trouble?  Pessimism not intended.

On the one hand, I don't see Oberon being particularly functional on a
touchscreen smartphone or tablet, unless you also use an external
mouse and keyboard.  And in that case, why not just use a netbook or
small laptop instead?  I don't see a particular useful purpose (use
case/application) for Oberon on a phone or tablet, that is materially
different than on a small laptop.  But just because my imagination is
limited doesn't mean Oberon on a phone or tablet isn't particularly
useful to some people for some purpose.
On the other hand, it's easy enough to carry along a mouse and tiny
keyboard, and many people carry their phone and/or tablet everywhere.
So I think it IS useful to figure out how to run OLR on Android
effectively, as an enabler for anyone who does have something useful
to do with Oberon on such a device. I specifically say OLR, because
especially for smartphones, I don't think it makes sense to run Oberon
or A2 as the host OS: you would want to preserve phone and email and
other native capabilities of the smartphone, and run Oberon
essentially as a guest application which you can switch to (and then
off of to other apps) as desired.

-- John Roberts