[Oberon] Re (3): Completeness; Ceres. Was Re: Re (2): MAP meeting tomorrow.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sun May 6 17:37:02 CEST 2018

From:	=?utf-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg_Straube?= <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Sun, 6 May 2018 08:06:55 +0200
> When you add new features to a programming language, you basically
> create yet another Oberon dialect. You are free to do so, but only
> those people using your modified compiler will be able to use it.

Understood.

> The âÄžwritten prohibitionâÄœ you ask for are the so called language
> reports, where the syntax and semantic of every Oberon language
> (dialect) is defined. I know four different language reports:
> Oberon,

Report not publicly available in electronic form?

http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/oreport.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20090514075518/http://bluebottle.ethz.ch/languagereport/index.html

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.Report.pdf

> The feature âÄžcontextâÄœ (I mean being able to use the reserved word
> âÄžINâÄœ after the module name) is only defined in âÄžActive
> OberonâÄœ.

OK.  Will work on the distinctions of language variant, system variant
and context.  Hypothetically at least, context can be used formally,
module IN context, and informally, module (* IN context *).  Also when
IN is present, various responses from a compiler are possible.
Recognize the context and proceed.  Fail to recognize the context and
make an assumption. Fail to recognize the context and abort
compilation.

The objective of the Wikibook is to make Oberon systems more accessible
and useable.  Unifying concepts are important.

Incidentally, the middle name Lyall avoids some ambiguity.

 Regards,                             ... Lyall E.

--
This message was composed and transmitted by software designed to
avoid the need, overhead and vulnerability of antivirus software.

123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789 123456789
Tel: +1 360 639 0202                      Pender Is.: +1 250 629 3757
http://easthope.ca/Peter.html              Bcc: peter at easthope. ca