[Oberon] Oberon FPGA hardware point of view

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:37:13 CEST 2018

Chris,

>On the surface this sounds OK but in reality the sheer number of addresses
>involved led us to use a different approach.

I like your way, in that it properly layers the concerns.
But the easier way is to translate the MCU spec file (which for ARM mcu's
and many others is to be gotten in XML format) into a system constants
file. A python program to do that is not difficult to construct.

I have never tried to do it for Oberon, but for Ada it is easy.
Look at this partial sequence (all made automatically as described above)

with System;
package AVR.ATtiny816 is
.
.
   --  register INTCTRL  -  Interrupt Control

   AC_INTCTRL_Addr : constant Address := 16#676#;
   AC_INTCTRL      : Unsigned_8;
   for AC_INTCTRL'Address use AC_INTCTRL_Addr;
   pragma Volatile (AC_INTCTRL);
   AC_INTCTRL_Bits : Bits_In_Byte;
   for AC_INTCTRL_Bits'Address use AC_INTCTRL_Addr;
   pragma Volatile (AC_INTCTRL_Bits);

   AC_CMPC_Bit   : constant Bit_Number := 0;
   AC_CMPC_Mask  : constant Unsigned_8 := 16#1#;
   --  Analog Comparator 0 Interrupt Enable
.
.
end AVR.ATtiny816;

By the way the 'Bits_In_Byte' type is an 8 bit boolean array. It makes it
easier to program for pins or bits. Unsigned_8 can be understood as
SYSTEM.BYTE. The Pragma Volatile is to stop GCC from optimizing the code
for the register out of existence.

Then the second file:

with AVR.attiny816;
package AVR.MCU renames AVR.attiny816;

And on top of this you can build your IO layer, or whatever you fancy,
without importing System again, also since GCC has smart ways of optimizing
code so that I never have the need to put semi-assembly in my program. This
might vary on the Oberon compiler.

Now I am of course not advertising Ada as a way of life, in fact she is a
very temperamental  lady at times, and 'part of the problem' as NW once
remarked. But it is good to compare notes.

j.