[Oberon] FPGA - Simple OOP example

Diego Sardina dsar at eml.cc
Thu Aug 16 10:02:51 CEST 2018

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018, at 9:23 AM, Tomas Kral wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 08:38:04 +0200
> Jan de Kruyf <jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The spirit of Edsger Dijkstra is still haunting us. 😠 Rational
> > western man or not.
>
> Modern trends usually are very complex, the spirit of Oberon is quite
> the opposite, keep it simple minimal, and leave out the fancy.

Just some days ago I (casually) found in my old hard disk an interesting
paper by Hoare about language design, it's still available on the web:

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~bchandra/courses/papers/Hoare_Hints.pdf

Briefly, Oberon fullfills all of Hoare's requirements:

"A good language design may be summarized in five catch phrases: simplicity, security, fast translation, efficient object code, and readability."

--
Diego Sardina