[Oberon] FPGA - Simple OOP example

Jan de Kruyf jan.de.kruyf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:52:45 CEST 2018

So let me be the devil's advocate:

I program embedded stuff. And for lack of integration of Oberon into main
line engineering
I am forced to use another language. I chose Ada because it is relatively
easy to understand
the syntax when you first start out.
At the same time it is bulky and slow in use. The paranoid security of it
hampers the readbility and does
not really improve the bug situation.  The code is as efficient as GCC can
make it.
Which is pretty good, but at a price.

For Oberon to be a real alternative I would minimally need:
1. single bit variables.
2. packed arrays of those.
3. if at all possible multi bit variables (2, 3, 4, 5 etc.)
4. packed records of single and multi bit variables.

The single bit stuff I did many years ago in Oberon-0 for AVR and it was
not difficult.
All the OOP stuff as in C++ and Ada only confuse me further so I have no
use for them.
There are other ways of sane thinking that give the same benefits. I am very
much in agreement with NW on that.

In any case: then there is item 5:
  An Oberon front end for GCC. so we have a proper Application Binary
Interface and
can hang some libc onto it. And have an interface to other languages. AND
use any
controller for which GCC has a back end. And have industry standard load
files that can
used where ever.

To think that we must forever and in eternity use hand-crafted compilers
that become,
after time, most difficult to maintain is to me plain religious lunacy.

So I am open to suggestions from the group. The GCC stuff must be done
first.
The rest can be discussed over time.

Enjoy the summer holidays all.

j.