[Oberon] Bit manipulation in Oberon-07

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Oct 24 17:53:58 CEST 2018

Chris:

> Ask your students *why* do they think they want to manipulate bits in an
> integer? What problem are they trying to solve?

They are setting up registers in hardware chips connected to the FPGA. It is a common problem that the data sheets break up hardware registers into individual bits which control various things within the chip. These bits need to be controlled individually.

>Coincidentally (?) a similar question has just been asked on the Astrobe forum.

Same students, I believe. I will ask them how they phrased the question.

> In that case all they wanted to do is to extract one (or possibly
more?) byte(s) from an integer.

They probably do not quite understand the difference between bits and bytes. I will talk to them.

Thank you,
Wojtek