[Oberon] a module a page (keeps the mind sane)?

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:34:30 CET 2018

Greetings,

On 03/11/2018, Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com> wrote (in part):
> Hi Frans-Pieter,
>
>> Does anyone remember where Niklaus mentions the ' one page of code, one
>> module ' rule?
>
> When you originally asked this (on this list in December 2015, can't
> believe it was that long ago!) :) I asked a colleague and he couldn't
> remember where he had read it either.
>
> But asked again and intrigued, he embarked on a browse of his dead-tree
> library and eventually conceded that what he had probably remembered, or
> at least the closest thing he could find, was
>
> "The Elements of Programming Style", 2nd Edition (Kernighan and Plauger),
> page 150, bottom two lines:-
>
> "The modularization would have the advantage that each part of the program
> would fit comfortably on one page."

I also remember reading it somewhere (and I will also browse my
collection later but not whether it was Wirth, Yourdan, Brookes,
Dijstra, or ...).  I also remember a commentary, in the same place,
about a manager insisting on each (Fortran) programmer have no more
than 60 lines per file;  one programmer printed out his thousand-line
file, took a ruler, and drew a line every 60 lines to split up his
code.

N.