[Oberon] There are considerable differences between Lola-1 and Lola-2; are you aware of that?

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Sat Mar 16 00:18:39 CET 2019

Gentlemen:

After a first round trip through the papers/reports/articles I was pointed to by Pablo Cayuela I got the impression that not every participant in the discussion might have the same notions about Lola.

Are you aware that there were e.g. IF and FOR statements as well as composite and parametrized types in Lola-1 which are no longer present in Lola-2 (at least not in the language report dated on 1.9.2015 which I downloaded from here: https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Lola/Lola2.pdf). There might be good reasons for that and I'm still reading, but I am beginning to understand why the discussants have so different views about the capabilities of the language.

My initial question concerned Lola-2 which was the only version I've dealt with so far. So let me ask Paul Reed, Wojciech Skulski, and Pablo Cayuela whether your answer really referred to this version, and not to Lola-1. From what I've seen up to now I think the version is quite relevant for the expressiveness on behavioral level.

Best
R.