[Oberon] There are considerable differences between Lola-1 and Lola-2; are you aware of that?

Pablo Cayuela pablo.cayuela at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 05:31:58 CET 2019

Dear Rochus,

I've used the Lola from the nineties only for simulation in Oberon for DOS
& Windows, and when Project Oberon was renewed and ported to an FPGA by
Prof. Wirth and Paul Reed, I've implemented PO in the original board that
they used. I found that Lola was not ported as a tool in that minimalist
Oberon.
After seeing the Risc5 being implemented in Verilog, I asked Prof. Wirth if
he plans to have a Lola version, he said may be; and some time after I
discovered that he published the new Lola-2 and the Risc5, as Paul already
said, as an experiment resurrecting another old project, Lola, with
modifications this time to be simpler to translate to Verilog to implement
on a current FPGA. I suspect that's why this new version is closer to some
constructs of Verilog, and does not have all the constructions of original
Lola to teach a structured way of describe circuits.

One more article illuminating the original use of Lola:

ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/doc/tech-reports/1xx/198.abstract
ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/doc/tech-reports/1xx/198.ps

Best regards,
Pablo Cayuela