[Oberon] PO2013 - Real time measurement

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Mon Mar 25 19:02:21 CET 2019

Hi Paul,

> PIC16F818 seems perfectly good, since it seems to be able to run at
> 3.3V as well as 5V. For interfacing with the FPGA, you should power
> it at 3.3V.

I found this programmer on the net, that I wish to give a try.
Single sided PCB, soldering iron, that seems within reach of my hobby
capabilities. Later as my knowledge and confidence grows, I may
try programming through FPGA and PICL directly.

What I need to find out yet, how to best match the PIC  to FPGA
frequency. PIC has got its own xtal, and may support also low cost RC
resonator.

> But of course the whole point of using a PIC, apart from adding the
> analogue interface(s) that simply don't exist on the FPGA, is to
> offload some of the processing

I was also thinking to use PIC as a single loop PID controller,
Oberon then as a sort of supervision and visual layer for trends and
some optimisations. Not sure though, we could do PID without FPU math,
just using integers?

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>