[Oberon] A2 Repository

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Wed Jun 5 17:51:43 CEST 2019

Hi Lyall,

> Currently, Firefox presumes a Mod file is an Amiga SoundTracker audio
> file and fails to open it.  Appears the behaviour derives from the
> file name extension although not with files from the preceeding
> server.  A recent Firefox upgrade?
>
> The snag is easily resolved by opening Preferences > General >
> Applications.  Then for "Amiga SoundTracker audio" change the action
> to an editor.  Leafpad works for ASCII files.  Gedit is bigger and
> slower but will open an Oberon Text; probably not necessary.

It's not recent that there are lots of problems opening .Mod files,
especially on Linux systems, so Prof. Wirth and I settled on using
.Mod.txt for the web-released ASCII source for the 2013 edition of
Project Oberon.

This also helps to distinguish source in ASCII format, since the
tradition in Oberon has of course been to have source in Oberon text
format.

Even if you manage to configure a system to open .Mod files correctly
(maybe even with an automagical Oberon-to-ASCII filter), you've got the
next n systems to configure as well, where n can get boringly large...
:)

Cheers
Paul