[Oberon] Description of Experimental Oberon & etc.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Aug 5 01:47:08 CEST 2019

From:	Andreas Pirklbauer <andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com>
Date:	Sun, 4 Aug 2019 08:05:40 +0200
> EO is a revision of FPGA Oberon, therefore it works wherever FPGA
> Oberon runs, i.e. on the RISC processor as defined on
> www.projectoberon.com.

Thanks for the reply.

The original entry in the table was for EO on an emulator; the De
Wachter emulator. Now it refers to the RISC processor or the emulator.
For every person with suitable hardware at hand, there must be 100 or
1000 individuals who might fire up an emulator. Therefore, seems best
to include mention of the emulator case.  Probably obvious to most
readers here but the wikibook should help a naive student.

> PS: EO does not modify the RISC processor, only the Oberon system ...

Also a helpful statement.  I've stolen your sentence almost
unchanged into a footnote; currently [12].

If you have any objection, fire away.

Use Cases > Educational Workstation
(https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#Educational_Workstation) remains
barren of content.  I guess there are two possibilities to address.

(1) Nobody is using Oberon as a workstation OS in an educational
setting. If so, I should change or remove the heading.  Can anyone
cast light?

(2) V5 is used in teaching about embedded systems.  If so, the Use
Cases section needs reorganizing. I don't know about any specific
curricula. A URL for a favourite institution will help.

Thanks!                           ... Lyle E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca