[Oberon] Re (2): "Inner core" and "Outer core".

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Dec 7 18:22:57 CET 2019

From:	=?utf-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg?= <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Thu, 5 Dec 2019 20:46:37 +0100
> The definition of inner vs outer core is not totally correct:
> In ProjectOberon only these four modules build the inner core:
> - Kernel.Mod (memory mgmt, disk storage mgmt, traps, timer)
> - FileDir.Mod (directory handling)
> - Files.Mod (File handling)
> - Modules.Mod (module loading)
>
> They are the only four modules that are statically linked and loaded
> by the bootloader into memory. All the rest of the OS (display,
> windows, fonts, mouse, keyboard, text editor, Oberon main loop) is in
> the outer core and loaded dynamically by Modules.Mod. The linker and
> compiler are not part of the core.

Thanks Joerg.  I've patched up glossary entries, "inner core" and "outer core"
by adding the V5 cases.  Still no mention of core in V4.

The core is an important subject.  A novice may wonder, "Why bother
mentioning core?"  "It is just some modules.  What is the significance?"
Well a small section might answer these questions better than a glossary entry.

When there is time, will work on it.

Thanks for the help,                      ... L.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca