[Oberon] Interfacing with Foreign Systems (was: Negative integer literals in Oberon)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri May 1 01:41:35 CEST 2020

> I am not very interested in emulating the original hardware, but if I was, I can do that in software on multiple host systems. I think it's an impressive feat, but mainly of historical interest.

I, personally, believe otherwise. In my opinion the FPGA Oberon System has a lot of future potential. It is not necessarily history. It can also be in our future. Some of us, at least.

Concerning the Linux-based board. I cannot call myself an expert. I designed the MicroBone board derived from BeagleBone. We made over one hundred pieces. We use it very heavily in our instruments. Our team is programming this beast full time.

Based on this experience I am saying "if you are using Linux then learn Linux with all the good and bad". Do not attempt to save Linux from their mess. Oberon put on top of Linux becomes one more component of the Linux mess. It may be convenient. But it cannot change the way Linux was structured.

If you want to truly understand what you are doing, look somewhere else than Linux. Knowing what you are doing was not Linux goal. Adopt the FPGA Oberon instead. Read it, improve it, use it. It is a great software and firmware project which can be fully understood. It can be cleaned up and made even better than it is now.