[Oberon] Interfacing with Foreign Systems

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Fri May 1 01:44:17 CEST 2020

Hi Liam,

> I am not very interested in emulating the original
> hardware, but if I was, I can do that in software on multiple host
> systems. I think it's an impressive feat, but mainly of historical
> interest.

Our effort was not to emulate the original hardware, but rather to get
Oberon running on simple, modern, cleanly-designed hardware.  Since none
could be found, Prof. Wirth adapted his own (previously virtual) RISC
processor, using an FPGA as a means to that end.

At the same time, every opportunity was taken to simplify and clarify,
and get rid of quirks from older days.  For example, it's now an entire
system built from the ground up in a clear and obvious high-level
language - no assembler any more.

Cheers,
Paul