[Oberon] Re (2): Re (2): Links for the Oberon-2 report.

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Jul 28 17:09:49 CEST 2020

Peter

If the Oberon .Text file doesn't have version elems embedded, reading is okay.
However if it has version elems, then even reading gets difficult, as the different versions of the text are in the same file, and it's hard to tell what ASCII snippet you see is part of what version...

In short: use EditTools.StoreAscii and you're save to send the resulting ASCII file around. Be aware: fonts are gone, text size is gone, color is gone, versions are gone, tabs settings are gone... etc

br
Jörg

Am 28.07.20, 16:43 schrieb "oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von peter at easthope.ca" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von peter at easthope.ca>:

    From:	=?UTF-8?B?SsO2cmc=?= <joerg.straube at ...ch>
    Date:	Tue, 28 Jul 2020 08:53:00 +0200
    > ETHOberon supports different sort of text documents with different
    > features in it. Namely, Write documents and Script documents. Write
    > supports elems and parcs. Script support styles.
    >
    > WTS means "Write To Script": it can delete elems out of Write
    > documents and it can convert Parcs to Styles.

    Good, thanks.  The last entry in the glossary is now WTS.  You'll see
    that I've surmised that Write Texts are in V4 and Script Texts are in
    ETH Oberon. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#Glossary
    Correction or suggested improvement welcome.

    > Nobody ever thinks of opening an .xls in Wordpad. Why would you like
    > to open Oberon .Text files in a Wordpad?

    In the Oberon World, absolutely no argument.  In the mind of most
    novices, Text = TXT = txt. A false assumption of course; nevertheless
    a common assumption in the real world. The wikibook should be
    accessible to novices.

    (In a few occassions I've opened a Text with gedit.  Reading works.
    Writing might be OK provided none of the binary is changed.  I don't
    understand the details enough to be sure.  I won't bore you with
    further details.  =8~))  )

    From:	Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
    Date:	Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:51:52 +0200
    > Is this a trick question?
    >
    > _Because it says TEXT in the name_, that's why!

    Another way of saying, "for most novices Text = TXT = txt, until
    proven otherwise". Similar to a child preferring to mispronounce a
    difficult word rather than not use it. Gradually pronunciation improves.

    BR & Thx,                              ... L.

    --
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon