[Oberon] Student FPGA board

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Sat Sep 26 12:44:59 CEST 2020

Hi Lyall,

>> For the System Construction class last year, we used on-board SPI
>> flash ...
>
> That's a commercial board?  Made to order?
>
> Do the students solder on it?
>
> Do they keep it at the end of the course?  Used again next year?

Custom one-off batch unlikely to be repeated. The economics of making an
FPGA board have been much discussed here so I'm not going to go over
that! :)

Like the Pi, the students wire up or plug in components (like the
nRF24L01+ wireless network module) but they do not solder in this
course.

We did consider trying to make a board cheap enough that the students
could simply take it away but actually we don't even give them the
Raspberry Pis, which cost considerably less.

Cheers,
Paul