[Oberon] Student FPGA board

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Sep 26 15:39:06 CEST 2020

From:	Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date:	Sat, 26 Sep 2020 11:44:59 +0100
> The economics of making an FPGA board have been much discussed here
> so I'm not going to go over that! :)

Right.

> Like the Pi, the students wire up or plug in components (like the
> nRF24L01+ wireless network module) but they do not solder in this
> course.
>
> We did consider trying to make a board cheap enough that the students
> could simply take it away but actually we don't even give them the
> Raspberry Pis, which cost considerably less.

Thanks Paul.

An observation possibly related to education. In the left margin of
the desktop view of a Wikimedia page is a "Page information" link. The
front page of the Oberon book anchors here.
https://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Oberon&action=info

During the northern hemisphere summer, that "Page views in the past 30
days" hovered in the range 500-700. At September 13, accesses began a
sharp climb.  Currently showing 2803 views/past 30 days. To my
knowledge Wikimedia doesn't publish anything about origin IP
addresses. I'll hypothesize that undergraduate students account for
some.

Documentation is the least glamourous of IT chores.  =8~|  Oddly
enough, clarity in natural language and clarity in formal language
aren't entirely distinct.  In case deficiencies become evident,
feedback and editing is always welcome.  Breakage can be fixed or
reverted.  =8~)

Regards,                     ... L.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines