[Oberon] [EXT] Oberon V4 Windows startup oberon.exe

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 10:13:08 CET 2020

   > Andreas:
   > would it be possible to bring your compiler closer to the previous Oberon-2 implemented under V4 in order to make porting a bit easier?

It’s definitely possible, but the choice made was to implement (now revised) Oberon-2 as a superset of Oberon-07, in order to benefit from the refinements made in the language over the years, e.g., the elimination of the LOOP, EXIT and RETURN (in its original form) statements plus several other smaller changes.

The upside is (in my view at least) a cleaner version of Oberon-2. The downside is, of course, that if you want to port V4 using *that* Oberon-2 compiler, you’d need to refactor and touch the source code of *many, many* source files, replacing al LOOP statements with WHILE statements, etc.

A tedious task! But a one-time effort.

PS: If someone (not me!) volunteers to build an “original” Oberon-2 compiler for FPGA RISC5, I would recommend building an entirely separate compiler, i.e. *not* mix and match features.