[Oberon] RISK-V RV32IM

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Dec 22 13:03:33 CET 2020

Rikke

BTW: I just recently stumbled over the rather new floating point represenation called „bfloat16“.

It is not part of IEEE 754 standard (yet) but seems to be THE hype lately: 16 bits seem to be enough for machine learning and most graphic applications in game engines and is much faster than 32 bit.
IEEE 754 offers a 16 bit half-precision floating point as well but has a big drawback:
Converting between IEEE single-precision (32 bits) and IEEE half-precision (16 bits) needs HW shifters and comparators.
Converting IEEE single-precision to/from bloat16 is HW-wise much easier.

In case you intend to implement REALs, you might opt for bfloat16.
bloat16 is obviously not a general purpose floating point representation like (IEEE single precision) as its precision is not huge. However, for a lot of applications (AI, games) where REALs are needed, bfloat16 is good enough.

br
Jörg