[Oberon] Module finalization - language construct or system call

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 19:34:26 CET 2021

    > Generally, I agree with Hellwig that I like FINAL, Finalize…
    > better than Close. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finalizer

The keyword has been changed from CLOSE to FINAL. Breaks with
with the Component Pascal tradition, but makes more sense indeed.

    > We can do whatever we want, but it won't be Oberon-07 anymore…

Well, the particular compiler, where the FINAL construct has (now) been
introduced *already* is a dialect of Oberon-07 (it has added type-bound
procedures, uniform handling of variable access, etc), so introducing yet
another language feature won’t really change this property.

However, the compiler implements a *strict superset* of Oberon-07, so at
least all bona-fide Oberon-07 programs will compile (backward compatible).