[Oberon] Starting V4.

Hellwig Geisse hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de
Thu Jan 14 09:09:49 CET 2021

On Do, 2021-01-14 at 02:22 -0300, Pablo Cayuela wrote:

> I didn't.
> Could you tell me how to try that? I have Ubuntu for 64 bits on a Windows 10 64 bits, I want to
> know if it works too.

Yesterday I had success with re-compiling the
executable "oberon". I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu
16.04.7 LTS (without any 32-bit compatibility
libraries), so no chance to do that directly.
Instead, I set up a 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS,
running under QEMU, and copied the V4 distribution
file (oberon-1.7.02.tar.gz) to that system. After
unpacking, compilation with "make" went smoothly,
and the resulting executable correctly booted
Oberon.

I'm interested in the whole bootstrap process
because the executable "oberon" has a demanding
task: load another executable (LinuxOberon.Boot),
possibly resolve symbolic cross-references for
DLLs, and finally start the executable - things
which normally are done by an operating system.

It would be nice to have a version running in
a 64-bit environment, but I'm not sure that this
is possible without changing LinuxOberon.Boot
(and thus modifying the compiler toolchain in
Oberon V4 which produced it).

Hellwig