[Oberon] maxCode limit in ORG

Charles Perkins chuck at kuracali.com
Tue Apr 6 18:26:57 CEST 2021

Hi All --

In Project Oberon's compiler source code, in ORG.Mod the 'maxCode=8000'
constant definition limits how much code a single module can contain.  Is
this an arbitrary limit or may it be relaxed in some cases?

My first inclination that it is an arbitrary limit (in recognition of the
small amount of memory available to the compiler in the original FPGA RISC
system) is that it is a decimal rather than a hexadecimal value... if the
limit were 8000H then I would think that we are concerned about not
exceeding 16-bit signed value offsets or something like that.

I imagine we do have actual non-arbitrary limits on how large a single
module's code can get, based on PC relative addressing. If the maxCode
constant is indeed arbitrary and if it were relaxed, what maximum value
could it take?

Many thanks,
Chuck