[Oberon] Portings Texts.Mod to Oberon-7, my Artemis project

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sat Jun 19 02:14:30 CEST 2021

> the Oberon-07 language has no concept of characters wider than 8 bits. A unicode aware language, even merely to support unicode glyphs in strings, would require an update to the language report, in my opinion.

The Oberon-07 language report does not define the implementation of CHAR. It can be 8 bits, 16 bits or even longer. The language does only define ORD but does not define what ORD returns. It might be ASCII, it might be EBCDIC or Unicode.

Principally, all program code using someting like ORD(ch)-48 is not portable. Better is ORD(ch) - ORD(“0“). All program code assuming CHAR to be one byte is not portable. Use BYTE instead.

Jörg