[Oberon] Re (2): Accessibility of FPGA configuration to V5 system.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Jul 24 17:17:09 CEST 2021

From:	Michael Schierl <schierlm at gmx.de>
Date:	Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:21:45 +0200
> The V5 system treats the RISC5 processor as a black box. It is not
> aware whether it is implemented as FPGA, as an ASIC or an emulator.

Understood.  Although obviously I would have to learn far more to
re-implement on a new FPGA or to make another emulator and etc.

> While there is LOLA, it will only output Verilog and there are no
> tools in V5 to compile these to a bitstream of any FPGA model.

A limitation of software implementation.  (?)

> Also, the processor does not expose any way of altering (parts of) the
> bitstream it is running from.

In other words, the host RISC machine can not change while the OS is
running?

At the fundamental level, a gate in the array is in one of two states.
The state of a gate can't be switched while the system is running?
How is that prevented?

Thx,                              ... P.L.

--
48.7693 N 123.3053 W
tel: +1 604 670 0140