[Oberon] Re (2): Is there anybody out there ...

Pablo Cayuela pablo.cayuela at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 20:40:16 CET 2022

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 2:49 PM <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:
> Thanks.  Some information in the table of variants is inadequate or incorrect.
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#System_Variants
>
> The 5th row states,
> "X86 PC with MS Windows", "ETH Oberon for Windows", "Spirit of Oberon, System3 for Windows".
> "ETH Oberon Plugin for Windows" is a synonym, correct?
Yes, one more of the multiple names that people called Oberon in its
nth reincarnation! :-D
The installation instructions under "JKU Linz, J.L. Marais" link are
for the V4 Oberon (also called Linz Oberon, ha!).

Correct installations instructions that I know of for several versions:
Here you have a copy of the old ftp site at ETH, that is no longer
online as many of us already know, really sad:
https://github.com/pcayuela/oldftpETHZOberon
Even the mirror I copied from is not accessible anymore.

> The 10th row states,
> "X86 PC with MS Windows", "Linz-Oberon, V4", "JKU Linz and SourceForge".
Those lines are fine for V4.
> Linz Oberon is distinct.  Can be more clear.
Attached images from Oberon V4 and System 3 (so called ETH Oberon)
both under Windows to check the difference.
The images could be of help to put in the variants, I thought.

> Linz links in columns 4 and 5 don't work.  Linz stopped the FTP server?
I test the links, despite being ftp, not opened in modern browsers,
but tested with and ftp app, and all work fine.

> Thanks,                               ... P.L.

Thank you for your great work.