[Oberon] *****SPAM***** Re: ALU 2015 and 2018

strohm at airmail.net strohm at airmail.net
Fri May 13 16:15:26 CEST 2022

The fundamental issue here would appear to be the adoption into Verilog of the C ternary ("?:") operator, as opposed to finding something more readable.

In the mid-1970s or so, it was not unusual to see conditional expressions expressed in the literature as "if <logical expression> then <value1> else <value2> fi".  It is immediately obvious that this is exactly isomorphic to the ternary operator, but much more readable.

I suspect that, were we to adopt Dijkstra's view that our job is to give the populace what they need, not necessarily what they think they want, and to tell the truth even when it is unpleasant, we would eventually find ourselves telling the world that C was a disaster and C++ an even worse one.  I am, however, not going to hold my breath until any of that happens.

--John R. Strohm