[Oberon] Multiple RETURN in a procedure

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:09:21 CEST 2022

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 1:42 AM <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> Wojciech,
>
> From:   "Skulski, Wojciech" <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
> Date:   Sun, 23 Oct 2022 04:04:36 +0000
> > But I am now facing three thousand lines of my Oberon-2 library.
>
> Roughly 50 pages.  Someone moderately skilled in the language might
> spend a few hours revising a page?  Pessimistically say four
> hours/page?  For 50 pages, roughly 200 hours or a month.

If you are considering bidding for this work I recommend you sharpen your
pencil ;-)

To do a reality check on your estimates and in the interest of practising
what I preach I have just updated one of my more significant  applications
to eliminate every multiple RETURN. This is written in Component Pascal
which allows such things (I'm only human - I've used them in moments of
laziness).The results are as follows:

18,800 Lines of code
37 Modules

Before: 181 RETURNs
After: 126 RETURNs

The edit and compilation exercise took a total of 3 hours and I had the
added satisfaction of being able to eliminate a LOOP in the process :)

Most of the changes were mechanical but there are a few which will require
more than a smoke test.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software