[Oberon] http://cas.inf.ethz.ch/projects/a2

Felix Friedrich felixf at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Nov 4 08:13:06 CET 2022

Hello Michael

Of course I have archived the issues from redmine and already imported
them to issues in a gitlab instance. So the information is not lost.

Regarding using git i/o SVN:

* SVN allows for a more fine-grained user management. This has become
less important meanwhile in this context, so that is not a large issue
any more. If in doubt, a separate git repo can be created for private
projects.

* A GIT checkout contains all history and will probably become huge for
A2 with all its binaries. Maybe there is a way around this, I am not sure.

* I personally like svn with its linear version numbers, otoh git is
much more flexible with its branching capabilities.

When/if we do the switch, I will try to preserve all history of the A2
SVN in git and / or leave the SVN (read-only) in place.

Feedback welcome.

Kind regards
Felix