[Oberon] oberon-uefi ?

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Sun Nov 6 21:16:28 CET 2022

Hello,

Am 06.11.2022 um 19:54 schrieb D EMARD:

> Is there oberon as UEFI executable?
> It could be bare-metal executable running
> on modern PC without OS (no need for windows/linux)

I am not aware of one that is running directly in the UEFI boot services
environment.

I considered porting the Oberon RISC Emulator to UEFI boot services some
years ago, but I ditched that plan as mouse support in boot services
envrironment was (depending on hardware) either very rudimentary or
non-existant. (On my laptop, the touchpad does not work at all, and an
attached USB mouse works with two buttons but cannot detect both buttons
simultaneously, so no interclicks).

As most existing bootloaders do not have mouse support, I doubt that the
situation changed meanwhile. And with Windows 10/11 having switched to
run the boot option selector outside boot services in the "full" Windows
environment, I doubt that there will be any more incentives for
improving mouse support in UEFI boot services environment.

In case your UEFI has working 3-button mouse support in boot services
environment, feel free to port one of the Oberon distributions or
emulators to that environment :)

Regards,

Michael