[Oberon] Email UID.

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sun Dec 18 22:39:50 CET 2022

UID is a unique identifier to uniquely identify a message in a mailbox folder.
In POP3, it‘s an arbitrary string with max 70 chars
In IMAP, it‘s a 32bit number (converted to string)

You could write an email server for both protocols using the same UID coding, namely a 32bit number (0.. 4294967295) as string. Whenever you create a new message (or move one to a new folder) you have to generate a new UID. You could do that by advancing a global counter by one, or take the process ticks…

br
Jörg