[Oberon] Re (2): ETH Oberon: file names.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed Dec 21 23:09:16 CET 2022

From:	Hellwig Geisse <hellwig.geisse at mni.thm.de>
Date:	Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:19:30 +0100
> I just tried 'touch 1234567890' with different lengths of
> the filename (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). Lengths up to and including
> 255 are working well, 256 and up terminate with the error
> message 'File name too long'.

Thanks.  I didn't test the claim.

Also interesting that ETHO Edit accepts file names 27 characters and
less.

Attempting to store a file with name longer than 31 characters yields
an "invalid name" message.

An intermediate length, 28-31 characters yields a trap. An error
message would be better.

Thx,                                       ... P.

mobile: +1 778 951 5147
  VoIP: +1 604 670 0140
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:PeterEasthope