[Oberon] Oberon keyboard tweaks

August Karlstrom fusionfile at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:48:50 CET 2023

On 2023-11-03 22:44, Chris Burrows wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 5:08 AM August Karlstrom <fusionfile at gmail.com
> <mailto:fusionfile at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     And I thought the keyboard was ergonomically superior to the mouse.
>

> Is that statement intended to be ironic? In case it was not - they are
> two very different tools. Each is superior to the other when used for
> the task they were designed to do.

I was thinking of some common injuries which are related to extended use
of the mouse.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/mouse/mouse_problems.html

Frequently having to reach for the mouse when writing text is also
inefficient (obviously). In the Project Oberon System it is necessary to
do that every time you need to reposition the insertion point (the arrow
keys do not work). Or, maybe it's intended as a small penalty for not
writing correctly the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLEOZO1GwVc&t=327s

>     Talking about text editing, is there a command in Oberon for wrapping
>     paragraphs of text? I can't imagine having to insert manual line breaks
>     in the right places when editing a paragraph of text, and having to
>     reach for the mouse in between.
>

> Do you mean 'word processing' rather than 'text editing'? Oberon has
> different tools designed to suit each activity.

When it comes to line wrapping you have the same need in a word
processor (which supports text formatting) as in a text editor so I fail
to see that the distinction is relevant in this case. I have only used
the Project Oberon System briefly to try some things out and I'm
therefor curious to know how it's used for real work. If you write
paragraphs of text in a viewer (opened with Edit.Open), are you supposed
to press the enter key when the right margin is reached? If you add or
delete text in the middle of a paragraph, are you supposed to manually
adjust the line breaks to make the paragraph look reasonable?

/August