[Oberon] "Make Project Oberon Pretty Again"

rsykora at disroot.org rsykora at disroot.org
Wed Jan 10 20:09:34 CET 2024

Dear list,

Arthur Yefimov <artur.efimov at gmail.com> wrote:
> To republish Wirth's book on Project Oberon is a brilliant idea. TeX is a
> perfect solution.

I believe I have never really written anything here before,
I have been mainly watching, out of curiosity. Pascal-like
systems have barely won my sympathy.

But.

I read (part of) the Project Oberon book. My feeling about
the whole work of NW was that he tried to create a simple
and mostly self-sufficient system. I bet he knew about the
existence of TeX, yet he probably used his tools (from
within the system itself?!) to write the book, create
pictures, etc. If this was really so, it would just be
against the sense of his intentions to use TeX to
'republish' his book (and especially the book about
the Oberon system; the other books of his are a different
story altogether).

Sure I may well be absurdly wrong.

Best regards,
Ruda

PS.: To me, the important and rather missing thing about the
Oberon system is the hardware that one could easily build
and run the system on; as open/simple as only possible.