[Oberon] Is this the smallest Oberon (program) platform to date?

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 29 07:42:31 CET 2024

I posted the essential info by Chris to the Facebook group on Minimalistic Computing.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/minimalistcomputing/posts/1049082649515196/

The posting is copied below:

There are a few new developments in the Oberon corner of the Universe after Professor Niklaus Wirth passed away. All of these qualify as "minimalistic" in terms of hardware, software, or both. I am reposting the information from the Oberon mailing list by Chris Burrows.

  1.  Oberon RTK is a framework to support  writing control programs in Oberon for the RP2040 Cortex-M0+  microcontroller using the Astrobe for Cortex-M0 cross-compiling IDE. For more information on RTK see: https://oberon-rtk.org/. For more info on Astrobe see https://www.astrobe.com.

  2.  Astrobe is also supporting the Project Oberon Workstation on commercial low cost FPGA boards. More details: https://www.astrobe.com/RISC5/Workstation.htm

  3.  Andreas Pirklbauer is steadily supporting the Extended Oberon System (EOS), which is a significant extension of the original 2013 Oberon System for the FPGA. Andreas is focusing on the compiler improvements and on the low-level system building and deployment tools. His efforts are independent from Astrobe. A very significant difference between Astrobe and EOS is that Astrobe is using Oberon-07 (without type-bound OOP), while EOS is providing both Oberon-07 and Oberon-2 which is providing type-bound OOP. Details: https://github.com/andreaspirklbauer/Oberon-extended.