[Oberon] Is this the smallest Oberon (program) platform to date?

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 10:11:20 CET 2024

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 4:41 AM <peter at easthope.ca> wrote:

> From:   Chris Burrows <cfbsoftware at gmail.com>
> Date:   Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:34:14 +1030
> > The source code that we used to do this was developed by one of our
> > Astrobe users. He has published an impressive set of libraries, tools and
> > examples for the Raspberry Pi Zero and announced their availability here:
> >
> > https://www.astrobe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=776
>
> Intended for a dedicated control system, correct? If anything in this
> paragraph needs updating, please go ahead, as in Wikipedia, or ask me
> for the change.
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/Introduction#Embedded_System
>
> The home page shows two machines supporting Astrobe.  Neither is meant
> to be a workstation, correct?  If so, this section isn't affected.
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/Introduction#Personal_Workstation

1. The author of the "Oberon RTK framework" referenced via the forum link
introduces it as:

"Oberon RTK is a framework to support writing control programs in Oberon
for the RP2040 Cortex-M0+ microcontroller using the Astrobe for Cortex-M0
cross-compiling IDE.
RTK stands for “real-time kernel”, that is, an embedded multi-threading
kernel to allow to divide, and program, the controller program as set of
separate control processes."

For more information see: https://oberon-rtk.org/

Maybe Oberon RTK merits a separate heading somewhere between an Embedded
System and a Personal Workstation?

2. Our support for the Project Oberon Workstation is detailed here:

https://www.astrobe.com/RISC5/Workstation.htm

This also is somewhat of a hybrid system. It describes our implementation
of the standalone Project Oberon workstation running on actual FPGA
hardware rather than an emulator. However, because it is source and object
file-compatible, the Astrobe for RISC5 compiler can also be used as a
cross-compiler to develop and compile on Windows and then upload the
resulting object files to be executed on the workstation.

Apologies if my replies raise more questions than answers ;-)

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com