[Oberon] Lola-2 PROM module

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 3 02:10:13 CEST 2024

Hello:

  I am re-reading the Digital Circuit Design by NW. I got interested in Lola-2 (not the original Lola). Looking at the RISC5Top.Lola I am seeing a reference to PROM, declared as

 PROM = MODULE (IN clk: BIT;
      IN adr: [9] BIT;
      OUT data: WORD) ^;

This module is missing from the Lola page https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Lola/index.html. It this omission intentional? Does anyone have the source of PROM.Lola?

A related question: how does the Lola-2 compiler import the Lola-2 modules? I am not seeing the export / import marks like in Oberon. I am not seeing a project file either, as it would be the case for ISE or Vivado projects. Does the compiler find the separate module files on its own?

Is anyone using Lola-2 for sizeable projects of the complexity similar to RISC5 System on Chip? If so, what was the practical experience? Does Lola-2 help, or the opposite?

Thank you,
Wojtek