[Oberon] Lola-2 PROM module

Chris Burrows cfbsoftware at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 03:53:54 CEST 2024

On Mon, Jun 3, 2024 at 9:40 AM Skulski, Wojciech <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
wrote:

> Hello:
>
>   I am re-reading the Digital Circuit Design by NW. I got interested in
> Lola-2 (not the original Lola). Looking at the RISC5Top.Lola I am seeing a
> reference to PROM, declared as
>
>  PROM = MODULE (IN clk: BIT;
>       IN adr: [9] BIT;
>       OUT data: WORD) ^;
>
> This module is missing from the Lola page
> https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/Lola/index.html. It this omission
> intentional? Does anyone have the source of PROM.Lola?
>
> A related question: how does the Lola-2 compiler import the Lola-2
> modules? I am not seeing the export / import marks like in Oberon. I am not
> seeing a project file either, as it would be the case for ISE or Vivado
> projects. Does the compiler find the separate module files on its own?
>
> Is anyone using Lola-2 for sizeable projects of the complexity similar to
> RISC5 System on Chip? If so, what was the practical experience? Does Lola-2
> help, or the opposite?
>
> Thank you,
> Wojtek

The Lola-2 compiler translates a single Lola-2 module to a corresponding
Verilog file. Call it (in any sequence) for each of the Lola-2 modules that
you want to translate. You can then create an ISE or Vivado Project to
reference the resulting individual Verilog modules. The Verilog source file
PROM.v file that you also need to include, is located in the Project Oberon
-> SourcesVerilog folder.

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com/RISC5