[SCION] Some Questions for diploma Thesis (SCIONLab)

Juan A. García-Pardo juan.garcia at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 23 20:46:40 CEST 2020

Hi Mauro,
I'm glad to hear you are experimenting with our user ASes. I checked the
picture of your network architecture and looks alright. Now, for the
questions (answering online)

> *       Is it possible to run the scion control service on a VM an the
> border router service on a separated device? So what is necessary to run
> just an border router?

If you refer to what type of hardware, then our experience is a PC can
forward up to some 200Mbps. You can always test your hardware running a
local topology, like "Tiny", and use our bandwidth tester to saturate a
couple of BRs.

*       Can I as a SCIONLab User already use the path-awareness and
> multipath features, So can I write my own path- and traffic policies? (The
> goal is to create some policies like in the presentation on SCION day from
> Samuel Hitz) If yes, where can I do this?

Yes, a SCIONLab user AS is no different in that regard. There are not too
many things right now that are aware of path policies; the SIG might be one
(I don't know for sure); you could even modify your path server to use path
policies right now (it's planned to extend it to do so, but it's not
supported at the moment).

*       The same Question I have for the peering link feature. Is this for
> an SCIONLab user also available?

You can peer your user AS with another user AS of your choice. For that you
will have to manually edit the topology files of both ASes. You can look at
how peering links are represented by generating a local topology and
inspecting the generated topology files.

> And something else. After the update of SCIONlab my test AS run well (all
> necessary service are up, SCMP messages are ok), but also after a new
> installation the SCION Apps / Webapps are just running with failure. Is
> this
> an knowing issue, or have I install the wrong apps?

I don't know about the webapp, but other applications (bwtest client,
netcat, etc) should have been updated as well. Please try with e.g. netcat
and let us know. Also run dpkg -l scion* and copy the output, to see what
versions you have installed.

I hope this helps. In any case, please send us back your experience, and we
might continue discussing using our Matrix channel, or Slack.
Thanks and best regards,

Juan A.