Re (2): [Oberon] Bluebottle and qemu

Jack Johnson knapjack at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 02:47:46 CEST 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:21:58 +0200 (MEST), edgar at edgarschwarz.de
<edgar at edgarschwarz.de> wrote:
> BootMagic came up but then BB started with some funny colorful pixels :-(
> Perhaps I can try another graphics mode. OTOH the BB from the CD image starts fine.
> Perhaps it's a graphics configuration problem.

Did you happen to change your Init value?  I leave mine at the default
117 and it seems to work correctly.

I'm using the current stable ISO, though, so I should test the
current/unstable/bleeding-edge version as well.

> A question to ETH: Do you expect any trouble if I install a BB on ID1 slave (/dev/hdd)
> and later in qemu the disk is mounted as IDE0 master ?

My initial guess is that you may have bootloader issues.

I suspect you'd be fine if you ran two bootloaders: one on /dev/hda
for your suite of OSes that also points to /dev/hdd for Bluebottle,
and another on /dev/hdd that points to your virtual /dev/hda for QEMU
(which using the default Bluebottle bootloader should work fine for
this -- I would just do the whole install inside QEMU using '-hda
/dev/hdd').

> The showstopper naturally would be whether I can access the www using my qemu started
> BB. Did you try that yet ?

Nope, but only because there are no NE2000 PCI drivers for Bluebottle,
though I'm hoping the QEMU trick will either make it easier or inspire
someone to do the work :)

It's probably out of my league, but I'm willing to give it a go.  Not
a near-future project.

-Jack