[Oberon] Oberon on the Raspberry Pi

volkert at nivoba.de volkert at nivoba.de
Thu Apr 17 19:05:30 CEST 2014

Am 17.04.2014 18:07, schrieb Paul Thomas Melville:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM, volkert at nivoba.de <volkert at nivoba.de> wrote:
>
>> Currently windows mode did not work. The emulator switches direct in
>> fullscreen mode. Yes, may
>> be it is a simple issue, but i have no idea.
>>
>> Display of Oberon is fixed to 1024x768. I have changed the RaspRi
>> resolution to 1024x768 and
>> it matches fine on my monitor, without a black border.
> Peter coded emulator in such way that Oberon window (1024x768) is scaled down
> or up to native resolution in fullscreen mode - letterboxing or
> pillarboxing is used
> to preserve aspect ratio.  On the other hand, in window mode emulator
> is creating
> fixed 1024x768 window.  I'm looking at code and I don't see how emulator could
> switch automatically to fullscreen mode without specifying
> "--fullscreen" option.  It
> doesn't grab input either, so window manager should receive input.
>
> My best bet would be on behavior of window manager.  When you lunch emulator
> either it is covering whole screen and that combined with mouse focus gives an
> impression of fullscreen or window manager is switching to some kind
> of fullscreen
> mode.

On RaspPi
- In 1920x1280 the emulator cachtes the whole screen. In the left and
right black border (left & right to the oberon screen, which is in the
center) you can see the window manager mouse pointer.
- The Oberon screen is not part of normal WM Window. May be it is, but
it looks if its not.

Anyway, the behaviour is different to that of other linux systems, f.e.
debian / ubuntu on x86. Here is
Oberon Screen is per default part of a window which i can grab and move
around. I see no reason, why
FXDE on RaspPi should behave other as Gnome/Unity on my x86.

Btw, it is also possible to start the emulator without a x-server running.

You can try it on your RaspPi. If you have a solution here, it would be
nice.

BW,
Volkert