[Oberon] Oberon on the Raspberry Pi

Paul Thomas Melville ptmelville at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:21:19 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM, volkert at nivoba.de <volkert at nivoba.de> wrote:

> On RaspPi
> - In 1920x1280 the emulator cachtes the whole screen. In the left and
> right black border (left & right to the oberon screen, which is in the
> center) you can see the window manager mouse pointer.
> - The Oberon screen is not part of normal WM Window. May be it is, but
> it looks if its not.
>
> Anyway, the behaviour is different to that of other linux systems, f.e.
> debian / ubuntu on x86. Here is
> Oberon Screen is per default part of a window which i can grab and move
> around. I see no reason, why
> FXDE on RaspPi should behave other as Gnome/Unity on my x86.

I apologize for providing incorrect information.  On RPi it works differently.
SDL is drawing there directly to EGL (or whatever it is using) - surface is
taking whole area of screen and it is grabbing the input.  At least according
to unofficial descriptions I stumbled upon.

For time being, you could use something like that in another shell session:

$ sleep 30 && echo filename > PCLink.REC

Then launch Oberon from another session and activate PCLink there. It
isn't convenient, but you can exchange at least files this way I guess.

Hiding/minimizing could help in this situation, but I'm not sure if it is
possible under RPi - most function related to window management just
don't work.

> Btw, it is also possible to start the emulator without a x-server running.
>
> You can try it on your RaspPi. If you have a solution here, it would be
> nice.

I don't have RaspPi and don't think I plan to have. I have very mixed feelings
about ARM hardware - especially about openness of it. I did buy cheapest
Android tablet with biggest screen I could get for reading ebooks. It is
possible to drop Linux there, since some of the drivers for Allwinner are
open sourced. Maybe I'll do that one that, since AFAIK it is hard to brick
devices based on this SoC, yet even getting custom bootloader is non-trivial.