[Oberon] FPGA RISC byte access

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Dec 20 05:51:04 CET 2019

Joerg:

  thank you!

RISC5, being a chip, would benefit from a data sheet. We worked for quite a while on interfacing RISC5 to the ZBT memory. This task would have been much easier if we knew the signal waveforms. I mean, what is the time relation between the strobes, addresses, and data, plotted against the clock. I know that setup and hold times will depend on the FPGA technology, so these may be hard to specify. But the basic time structure is determined by the RISC5 design. All chip vendors provide this kind of information for all their products.

The fact that even the polarities were not mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg. It is difficult to interface RISC5 with other components without knowing when the CPU is issuing the signals. Writing firmware without having this information is unnecessarily tough indeed.

Thanks you again,
Wojtek