[Oberon] Oberon System emulator for Windows

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Feb 12 02:20:09 CET 2020

Pablo:

this is a great news! I started a sweep over the entire Oberon System in order to make it portable to my future FPGA boards. Step 1 was to weed out all the strange memory locations like "12", "24", "-60", etc. Negative locations are used to interface the modules with hardware, while the small positive locations interface the modules with the boot loader and among themselves.

The verbatim addresses are scattered all over the code. Porting the code would involve changing the numbers in many places, which may cause inconsistencies among the modules. So I gathered all the literal constants in a single module named SysDef.Mod. It is attached. I have all the sources with this module imported and the changes already implemented. I was now looking for a way to compile this version of the System, which I have not done yet.

I did this work under BlackBox, because BlackBox is a great way of formatting the source. But this has created a major incompatibility between the source editor and the compiler running under the emulator. I was thinking what to do next. Like for example continuing the project under Linz V4 with the RISC5 compiler.

The anonymous expert on this mailing coached me through these numbers. His help was essential. There are certain modifications to the compiler which enable importing SysDef.Mod by the standalone MODULE*. These modifications will allow to use a consistent set of definitions across both the boot loader and the actual System. Doing this is paramount for a board developer, though it has no bearing on emulated environments.

I hope nobody will feel uneasy looking at the attached file... It looks quite different from the officially adopted Oberon coding style.

Thank you again for the great news!

Wojtek