[Barrelfish] [Barrelfish-users] ARM port and programmable network cards

Orion Hodson Orion.Hodson at microsoft.com
Fri May 7 13:18:05 MEST 2010

Hello

The ARM port is at a fairly early stage. What is there is being developed on QMEU with an ARMv5TE ISA similar to the IXP/IOP instruction set. At some stage someone will hopefully take it forward to run an I/O card based on one of the these. The benefit of running on something like an IXP will really be felt if someone goes on to target the micro-engines.

For a contemporary system that did run on an I/O card there’s the Helios paper here: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=81154 The benefit of running code on this particular processor was slight. The processor has hardware acceleration for RAID operations and Helios wasn’t exercising this functionality in the paper.

Kind Regards
Orion