[Barrelfish-users] Barrelfish - LXC - Docker doubts

sagar ruchandani sagarruchandani at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 04:19:47 CEST 2015

Hello,
I want to make some application on barrelfish.
As a task, my professor asked me to figure out if something like Docker can
be made on top of barrelfish.
After some initial research I have few questions on barrelfish's
capabilities.

Linux Containers:
1. Does barrelfish have cgroups implemented?
[
cgroups:
a. provides limitation and prioritization of resources (CPU,memory, block
IO, network, etc.)
b. namespace isolation (including process trees, networking, user ID's,
mounted file systems):
● pid (processes)
● net (network interfaces, routing...)
● ipc (System V IPC)
● mnt (mount points, filesystems)
● uts (hostname)
● user (UIDs)
]

2. Is there any mounting point isolation facility like chroot jail?

Docker:

3. I read somewhere that docker uses libvirt and systemd-nspawn to enhance
the performance of container creation.
Will it be feasible to port such a functionality with the current state of
barrelfish?

4. Docker uses stacked file system UFS. I am expecting that such file
system does not exist in barrelfish. Does it?