[Oberon] Programming Editor

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 23:40:13 CET 2003

--- eas-lab at absamail.co.za wrote:
> Aubrey McIntosh wrote:
>
> > > Can some kind soul provide a Tool (or name some
> existing ones) that
> > > have a few relevant commands for the { Edit
> Compile } Store cycle?
> >
> > I got no reply to the same questions.
> > Eth 'insiders' are obviously hiding the good stuff
> from us.
> > I recently revisited 1980's DOS Turbo-Pascal
> Edit/Compile/Store
> > facilities  - much more productive than what I
> have to use with S3.
>
> John M. Drake wrote:
>
> > First of all I'm in no way an ETH "insider" yet
> > I'm very much aware of the tools ET and PET.
> > ET is available from the Applications.Tool that
> > comes installed with EVERY S3 implementation!
> > PET can be downloaded from Oberon PUBLIC FTP
> > site:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Contrib/Pet/
> >
> > That being said I rarely use PET or ET.  I find
> > the default tools sufficient and FAR BETTER than
> > TP for DOS!  I use TextPopups.Tool (again it's
> > available to all) to navigate my source code.
>
> I skipped this because:
> * It doesn't open clean with Edit.Open  - All *.Tool
> which don't need
>     'hot links' should run under the minimum system

I use System 3 for Windows, so Gadgets support is
the "minimum system".  The latest release of
BlueBottle loads the Oberon enviornment the same.
(Default Gadgets support for text.)

> * Desktops.OpenDoc TextPopups.Tool doesn't word-wrap
> and overflows
>       the VGA 80 char width of the UserTrak.  There
> should be a spec. for

I'm not sure what system you're using.  My system
has far more than 80 charecters in the user track.
Perhaps you meant the "system track".

>       *.Tool width, which is complied with.
> *  It reads:"..when clicking outside the text."
>    1. n-o doesn't "click"; Microsoft does.

N-O does click.  Unless you have some new mouse
that doesn't have any buttons there is a click.
The doc was referring to the "action click" or
middle mouse click.

>    2. outside the text"  was not understood.

It means that you click on some area of the
frame where there is no text.  For example
at the end of a line past the "newline"
charecter.  It's really easy once you've
experimented with in for a couple of minutes.

> > With 2 mouse clicks I can immediately jump to
> > any procedure or type defined in the module I'm
> > working on.
>
> I don't have leisure to browse, surf or try
> applications which have
> doubtful usefulness;  so I appreciate your
> description what
> TextPopups.Tool can do.  { That's the point that I
> was trying to
> make to Peter Easthope: his donated pointers from
> having 'gone
> ahead' are cost effective contributions to those who
> come behind.}

Maybe we need a Wiki.

> > Tools.OpenMod lets me jump
> > directly to procedures defined in other modules,
> > provided that the module name isn't aliased.
>
> That seems marvelous. I have no Tools.OpenMod  ?!!

Again that's an S3 for Windows feature.  And again
it's like that in the latest BlueBottle build.

> > When programming under S3 I usually have the the
> > Programming.Tool open in the system track so that
> I have
> > direct access to the Watson and Builder tools.
>
> I have no Programming.Tool .
> Watson is in my <personal>.Tool and Popup would
> provide all the
> Builder.<commands> ?

That's correct.

> Please tell more about Tools.OpenMod .
> --------
>
> With your description of what TextPopups.Tool can
> do, I spent time
> to discover:
> 1. Edit.Open type files are not handled.
> 2. "clicking outside the text" means: 'in a
> Desktops.OpenDoc type
> text, hold down MM (1.5 secs. seems a long time -
> definitely not a
> 'click'), in an area free of 'visible' text (spaces
> qualify).

In the Windows version 2.4 it's a click.  In the
Windows 2.3 version there is a known problem that
causes certain graphical operations to be slower
than they should.  I don't know if this is the
same problem under Native Oberon.  It doesn't seem
to be a problem under the latest BlueBottle
release.

> But still for my version alpha?beta 2001:-
>
> * SYS:TGZ.Mod   >  Compiler.Compile *  ==  compiling
> TGZ   1940 == OK.
>
> * Devlp:CRGtrace.Mod > popupMenu == writes to
> System.Log:
>    "pos  11981  err   3	illegal character in string"
> without any menu selection !!
> Yet  <mark>  Compiler.Compile *  writes:
>    "compiling CRGtrace (in use)    2016".
>
> So Compiler.Compile * via the popupMenu has a
> problem, with a source
> which Compiler.Compile * from the mouse
> compiles/runs.
> I.e. the popupMenu writes an 'err   3'  *before* any
> selection for this
> particular source.
>
> Then when I introduce an error, popupMenu >
> Builder.NextError
> does'nt show it, but instead leaves a red arrow at
> the chosen
> location of "clicking outside the text".
>
> It's interesting that the deficiency in the
> edit/compile/save tools
> is rectified by a 'gotcha' which has the main
> features of TP for DOS.
> But I think TP stacked the texts - not save/retieve
> files.  When I
> pop the unsaved SYS:TGZ.Mod, my introduced error is
> lost.
>
> Of course the ability to pick PROCS and TYPES is
> great.
> But unless I can locate errors (as Edit.Locate can
> do) I can't use
> the TextPopups.Tool .
>

> -- Chris Glur.

I haven't had any of the problems you describe.
Perhaps you should try BlueBottle.  Or perhaps
you should configure your Native Oberon system
to use Gadgets by default.

Regards,

John M. Drake