[Oberon] Re. Usb Zip drive support in BlueBottle

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 21:52:33 CET 2003

--- eas-lab at absamail.co.za wrote:

> Sorry, I can't help but I'm interested to see
> any oberon code for Iomega Zip drives.
>
> I understand that BlueBottle uses/extends much of
> the
>  native-oberon code ?
>
> My 2001 version of n-o shows no applicable *ip.Obj .
>
> Where would I see some n-o appropriate/modifyable
> source code for Iomega Zip drives, with out being
> *swamped* by BlueBottle ?
>

> --  Chris Glur.

Hello Chris,

I'm not very familair with N.O.  I experiment with
BlueBottle quite a bit because I can boot from a
CD, which means there's very little overhead to
getting started.  (No need to partition hard disk,
or even have a FAT partition).  Is there any way
to do that with N.O.?

Anyway back to your question.  The code that I
used to do this didn't seem to be BlueBottle
specific, but I don't know for sure.  I used
OFS.Tool (Oberon File System?) to mount the
Zip drive.  The internal Zip drive shows up
as a removeable IDE Fat 16 partition.  Are
you trying to use an IDE Zip drive or a
parallel port Zip?

> PS. the recent c.l.o. post about having to throw
> away
> your Wirthian code every 6 years makes me more
> worried
> about my investment in n-o.

Well since N. Wirth has now retired it's unlikely
we'll see any new languages from him.  ;-)  Yes
there is flux in the Oberon world.  From the looks
of it all of the N-O code is backward compatible
with BlueBottle so I think it will continue to
work for the foreseeable future.

Regards,

John M. Drake