[Oberon] WinAos 2.00

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 17:44:06 CEST 2005

--- Felix Friedrich <friedrich at gsf.de> wrote:
> John,
>
> >The bad.
> >===================
> >For some strange reason the Menu won't come up.
> >
> >I click on the command:
> >
> >Configuration.DoCommands
> >Aos.Call Win32AosDisplay.Install 1280 1024 ~ (*
> open
> >display *)
> >Aos.Call WindowManager.Install  ~ (* Install window
> >manager *)
> >Aos.Call SkinEngine.Load winxp.skin
> >Aos.Call MainMenu.Open ~
> >
> >The culprit seems to be "MainMenu.Open".  It just
> >doesn't do anything.
>
> When you execute the commands one after the other,
> what do you see on the
> screen?

At first I see a black screen.  Then I see a light
blue screen and an arrow.  Then I see a dark blue
screen and the arrow is upside down.  Then the
upside down arrow goes away and I see a rightside
up arrow.

> Is your screen large enough for 1280 1024
> resolution? If not,
> please try

It's set at 1280 x 1024.

> Configuration.DoCommands
> Aos.Call Win32AosDisplay.Install ~ (* open full
> screen display *)
> Aos.Call WindowManager.Install  ~ (* Install window
> manager *)
> Aos.Call SkinEngine.Load winxp.skin
> Aos.Call MainMenu.Open ~

I tried that and I get the same thing.  The menu
never opens.

> >The ugly
> >===================
> >What happened to the Oberon apps such as Leonardo?
> >They worked fine in version 1.02 (even if
> >installation was a bit painful due to a wierd
> >problem in Packages) but by 1.08 they were missing.
> >I tried copying them over to 1.08 and 2.00 but
> >now Packages "traps" when I try to install
> >anything.  For me Leonardo is the Oberon
> >"killer ap".  It's the one pre-installed ap
> >that I consistently am able to use for actual
> >work.
> >
> >Incidently, Leonardo doesn't work under the
> >latest version of BlueBottle either.  It
> >starts to work, but then "traps" out.
>
> I'll incorporate Leonardo into the next release
> (which will be available as
> soon as first bugs are removed, ca. 2 Weeks).
> Compare next email.
>
> Felix.

Cool.  Still I wonder what happend with the
Packages installer and why it doesn't work
right?

Regards,

John M. Drake